2.23.2011

The End is Near!

My title isn't in reference to End Times... it's about this CRUD (aka Pneumonia) that's consumed my life since January 18th. That's SIX WEEKS, people. Since coming home from the hospital, I've felt like I've improved each day..just a tiny bit, but enough to notice and be hopeful. Then after a couple consistent days of that, I'd have a HORRIBLE day. Then improve...then take a step or two backward feeling horrible. Then a couple good days. Back and forth, back and forth.. It's been driving me CRAZY. The last two days were bad days. Very achey. Tons of coughing. Extremely tired. Yesterday morning I coughed and coughed, nonstop until I got physically ill. After that, I felt a bit spent but much, much better. I spent the rest of the day coughing like crazy, but I felt different..a better kind of different. This morning I woke up feeling more like myself than I have in SO very long. I felt giddy! My voice sounds more like ME than it has in weeks. My head feels clearer. My lungs feel clearer (despite the incessant coughing still). Today I feel SO good!!! I'm going to be cautious in exerting myself, but I haven't felt such a marked change until now. VERY exciting!

You should be excited too- because now you won't hear much about my being sick. A couple posts about it and numerous FB status updates and *I* am sick of reading about it! 

To celebrate this... I brewed myself coffee for the first time in over SEVEN weeks. I've had a few Starbucks since being out of the hospital..but I haven't made coffee at home. Just haven't wanted it. But this morning it was the first thing I thought about. So see??! I *AM* more like myself today!

Do you have a French Press? 
Oh my goodness....if not, you need to get one, so you don't feel left out.
Because you ARE missing out.

Not only is it deliciously rich, but there's something about the process that's to be savored.

Don't know how it's done?
First, put a kettle of water on to boil. While you're doing that, put a rounded Tablespoon of freshly ground coffee (coarse vs. fine is better with a press) per 4oz. of liquid. My press is 12 oz. So I toss in 3 heaping Tablespoons (A. I'm slightly rebellious. B. I like my coffee STRONG), sometimes even an extra one, into my empty press. Once the kettle has come to a boil, pour in the water- almost to the top (you have to leave room for the lid/press to do it's thing!). Take a chopstick and give it a few stirs and this is what you'll see....


Photobucket

Beautiful, right?!
Now, place the lid/press on top. Let it sit for about 3 minutes. Then carefully (and slowly), push the plunger down. Be sure to keep it straight and steady or the grounds will sneak out and into your brew!


Photobucket


Here's what it looks like before you press the grounds down to the bottom. See the pretty bloom on top?? Then the layer of grounds, then the brew.
YUM.


Photobucket


Once you've pressed the plunger all the way to the bottom, pull out your favorite coffee cup and carefully pour yourself a bit o' happiness. Adorn with creamer, should you feel so inclined.
Voila!



Photobucket


One positive thing about the last few weeks of being stuck in bed is that I've read a number of books. Here's a few that I just finished. The "Hunger Games" trilogy by Suzanne Collins is SO good! I read "Catching Fire" in a few hours and once I realized I only had a few chapters left before I finished it, I hopped online and put a request in for the final book. I hope I don't have to wait too long!


Photobucket


So here I sit, this morning... at the table. Laptop whirring. My first cup of home-brewed coffee in seven weeks, listening to my favorite Pastor online (James Macdonald), a bit of blog surfing and watching SNOW fall outside. It's not sticking, but it's certainly pretty to look at. 

 
Photobucket


Hope YOU are having a WONDERFUL day!!!
Remember to savor the little things in your day that bring you joy!

XOXO
~S

3 comments:

****** "M" said...

YUM! i agree! Nothing like a good french pressed cup of coffee!
Soooooo glad you're doing much better Sweetie! Love you so much.
xoxo,m

Christy said...

Oh, making coffee in the french press is the BEST!! So, so happy you're finally starting to feel like your old self again...six weeks of sickness is SO not cool! Love you, sweet girl! xoxo

pakosta said...

so happy you are feeling better!!! finally!! I want a french press!
tara